Question: Thin irregular web of lines appearing in my vision

nbease - Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:52 pm

These lines are best described as being like the crazing which appears on pottery glaze as it ages. I am able to see sufficiently to carry out normal functions, but the symptom is worrying. My ophthalmologist believes it is a neurological problem. I have followed advice to discontinue use of my medications to no avail. No pain, dizziness or other symptoms.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 pm

While there's little doubt the problem is neurological in origin, it is rather unusual and while it may be something as simple as optical migraine, it may also be something more complex. I'm not sufficiently familiar with this sort of symptom outside the area of migraine/seizure aura, so I am going to refer this to the neurology and opthamological teams here in hopes someone can advance a more insightful response. Please check back here in a day or so to see if we've had any luck with this. Meanwhile, good luck to you and I hope you've by now made some progress toward discovering the cause of this really odd visual disturbance.
 Joanna H, RN-BC - Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 pm

First, I am very glad that you consulted with your Opthamologist. My first thought when I think of "lines" at all is macular degeneration which can be very serious. I am quite sure your opthamologist has ruled that out. I would certainly follow the recommendation of that MD to see a neurologist. Also, you may want to seek a second opinion from another eye specialist as no one person always "see's things thru the same lenses" so to speak. There are many things that can affect a persons vision and how that vision is interpreted by the brain. There are so many mechanisms involved from first sight until it is fully integrated in to "what you actually are seeing" by the brain. Again, any opinion would be "just a guess, or a possibility" and it is important to follow up and find a cause if only to gain some "peace of mind." I wish I had a "quick answer, or cure," but again it would be most important to see a qualified physician so you can be sure what is going on. Good luck and I so sense this will all work out OK for you.

|