News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Head injury of 6 years and persistant headaches

meliai - Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 pm

6 years ago I took a tumble down the stairs, giving myself a severe concussion and subdermal hematoma that cost me quite a bit in medical bills, MRIs, ct scans, the works.

To this day, the bump i sustained still remains on the back of my head, near the occipital bun, and it is still very sensitive. I can't touch it without it hurting, and can't lay on it without it causing me nausea, vertigo, and a peculiar sick-migraine.

Sometimes I don't even have to touch it and it'll just throb and stab with pain, like it was hit again, though it wasn't. What is wrong with me and why did it never go away?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It sounds as though you've been suffering a long-term case of post-concussion syndrome (PCS), which usually doesn't last longer than one year. I'm wondering if, during the past six years, you've had consistent followup or, if not, when that ended. If you haven't been seen recently for this problem (within the past year at least) you really need to be re-evaluated for certain complications such as a vestibular concussion injury (inner ear damage caused by the initial trauma). This can sometimes cause many of your symptoms for a long period of time, but it's fairly rare to have a remote trigger point such as you describe, so this really does need to be looked at. An MRI of the brain, possible electronystagmogram, and EEG should all probably follow a face-to-face office neurological survey to confirm vertigo and nystagmus.

Depending upon the cause discovered, this could be treated symptomatically or via a number of therapies or even possibly surgically. There is too much that appears to have been overlooked or ignored, so a fresh start with a new neurologist may be in order.

I hope this is helpful. There's definitely some unfinished business here, and you deserve to have this diagnosed correctly and made as close to right as possible.

Good luck to you with this, and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here