News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Question on Kernicterus and Pregnancy

misspregunta3 - Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:24 pm

Since I have a boyfriend 18 who Im almost sure has Kernicterus, since he was dignosed with jaundice at birth and he wasn't treated. I wanted to know if I got pregnant with his baby, what risk does my baby have that it will have Kernicterus also, nothing is wrong with me it's my boyriend I am worried about. My boyfriend seems very normal allthough he just has some speech issues, and hearing loss, also his finger movements are diffrent, someone please help me with my case, I want a baby and I love my boyfriend even if he has Kernicterus.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:36 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While your boyfriend may have suffered kernicterus in his first few days of life, this is past history. Approximately 60% of all babies are jaundiced at birth. A few of these develop such overwhelming jaundice that brain damage can occur, so very high levels of jaundice constitute a medical emergency. This is always a concern with the 60% of babies born with jaundice, and a few who are immediately identified as having kernicterus. It is, basically, one of the hazards of being born. It is also often manageable and the damage can be minimized.

There is no genetic pattern to either jaundice due to excessive bilirubin, nor to the occasional overwhelming bilirubin levels,so were you to have a child with this man your baby wouldn't be at any special risk (above and beyond the norm) for developing either condition.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you both. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here