Question: back pain and feel faint and whole body numbness

zeela - Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 pm

4 weeks ago I fell on icy steps. My back in the thorasic area hit the stair and I heard a crack sound. I had a x-ray and they said nothing was wrong. Now I still have pain on my spine in the area I hit the stair, and today I moved my neck really fast and I felt dizzy and numb all over and I thought I was going to pass out. What could this be? Could I have nerve swelling? Could I have a pinch nurve and what was the crack sound?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Nerve swelling should be ruled out, as well as increased intracranial pressure originating in the spinal column, via MRI of the thoracic spine and the brain, as well as possible lumbar puncture. The symptoms are suggestive of something resulting from the fall. While the "crack" may have been simple mechanics, it also could have been something being displaced, even slightly, which could lead to further problems such as you are now experiencing. You should be evaluated by a neurologist and the appropriate studies done to rule out any potentially serious problems.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and please follow up with us as needed.

|