News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Hydrocephalus shunt repair surgery

Guitarbabe2007 - Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi,

My boyfriend has hydrocephalus and has had a shunt since he was very young. He hasn't needed surgery since he was 14 and is now 21. He feels as though his shunt is malfunctioning. He has a horrible headache and is beginning to feel sick. I am now a worried girlfriend wondering what shunt repair surgery or shunt replacement surgery entitle? Is it a long and difficult surgery? How much of a recovery time is he facing and what will it be like? Thanks so much for you response. Heather
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 pm

User avatar Hi there --

It seems likely your boyfriend is right about the shunt, as this is something he's lived with for a long time, and people do tend to develop a sense for what's going on, or when something is going on.

While each person is different, shunt repair or adjustment has become relatively routine compared with the past, and most corrections are relatively simple, especially when the are done where there is a pre-existing shunt in place. While there is a whole spectrum of possible outcomes, generally these are fairly easy to fix, so there probably wouldn't be a huge disruption. Of course I have very little to go on, very little history and no precise knowlege of the patient, but in general these tend to be, on average, fairly simple procedures.

I hope this is helfpful. Good luck to you both.
 Guitarbabe2007 - Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 am

Thank you so much for your reponse. Yes, my boyfriend has been living with hydrocephalus his entire life and has had a shunt since he was very young. It is helpful to have a place I can go to ask questions. Thank you once again for your quick reply. :-)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here