News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: 6year old Asperger child with severe headaches

tankerforlife - Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:21 pm

I HAVE A 6YEAR OLD BOY WITH ASPERGER WHO HAS BEEN HAVING SEVER HEADACHES AT TIMES WITH TENDERNESS TOP OF HIS HEAD. TENDERNESS IS PRESENT SOMETIMES WHEN THE HEADACHES ARE NOT THERE. HE WAS PLACED ON MEDICATION FOR MIGRAINES BUT HE RECENTLY HAD CT W/O CONTRAST OF HEAD.

WONDERING SHOULD I BE CONCERNED THAT " GLOBULAR CALCIFICATION ALONG THE DURA AT THE POSTERIOR INFERIOR ASPECT OF THE SUPERIOR SAGITTAL SINUS AS IT JOINS THE POSTERIOR MARGIN OF THE TENTORIUM CEREBELLI"

" SLIGHT CALCIFICATION IN THE GLOMERA OF THE CHOROID PLEXUS IN ATRIA OF BOTH LATERAL VENTRICLES."

"TINY FOCI OF CALIFICATION WITHIN THE DURA OF THE TENTORIUM CEREBELLI"

" SOME TENTORIAL AND POSTERIOR INFERIOR FALX CALIFICATION WITHIN THE DURA."

THERE IS NO LESIONS NOTED - BUT SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE CALCIFICATIONS?

THANKS

TANKERFORLIFE
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 pm

User avatar Hello --

While the calcification should be explored further, I don't think it's likely the cause of the skull/scalp tenderness, nor the headaches. More likely there is an inflamed cranial nerve or neuritis causing this. It is likely due to a viral cause, but is treated symptomatically regardless of cause unless there is a mechanical basis for it, which is possible but, again, unlikely. I hope you'll have a neurologist follow up with this, since it compromises your child's quality of life and probably is amenable to fairly simple medical treatment. Again, I doubt the calcifications have anything to do with it.

I hope this helps. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here