Question: Tired, Light-headed, inability to concentrate, lower grades

tired_dustin - Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:28 am

For the past year(ish), since approximately November 2007, I have been experiencing light-headedness / inability to concentrate almost all day everyday. I was and still am healthy and active. I had a pretty bad concussion over labor day weekend 2007 and was briefly in the hospital because i had retrograde amnesia. I don't know if this is relevant. The light-headedness has continually gotten worse and it is terrible because i feel as if i am operating at about 70% of my potential. One of the biggest symtoms now, which I caught onto later on is my inability to sleep. I have not slept through a night in over a year (never had a night where I go to sleep and don't wake up until the morning), I am always tossing and turning and wak about 6-10 times every night. I hate medications but recently let my girlfriend's father (Psychologist) to give me four prescription sleeping pills (blue diamond shaped) which i took for four nights but they had no effect (made me sleepy but still the same problems). I try to go to bed so I get 8.5 hours but am still tired, drowsy continually and constantly throughout the day. It is no way to live and if I wasn't a christian I would probably contemplate suicide (don't worry, I won't, it just sucks going from a high acheiver to sub par in everyday life). I can't concentrate in sports and have more than halved my physical activites and exercise. I used to get straight A's (almost) in college and now am a C+ average and I am trying way, way harder with studying and homework. I have got blood work, gone to a ENT (slightly deviated septom), had a holter monitor, 3 CT's over two years...I have a numerologists appointment on May 29th but I am scared cause I feel as if people think I am a hypochondriac. My sister and brother who go to the same GP are melodramatic and always feel like there is something wrong with them but I am NOT like that. But still I feel as if it reflects on me and no one takes me seriously. Also, I took M1T (kinda a designer oral steroid, but not as strong as normal steroids) about 2.5 years ago for about 6 weeks. I was told later that it was terrible for either the kidneys or liver and am wondering if that could have an effect. Anyway, any insight would be nice cause the way I am living is no way to live. Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:54 pm

So in the past year or so that this has been going on, have you been seen by an actual MD? Your girlfriend's father may not be one but he certainly should have urged you to be seen. Something is wrong, you're not a hypochondriac, and the prior concussion may very well be germane to this current problem. You wrote that you have an appointment with a numerologist, but I am going to assume you meant to type neurologist. Is this correct? This is certainly what you need to see (neurologist) and none too soon. You may well have some residual problem from the earlier head injury. Traumatic head injury is not always as it sounds, and can be pretty subtle in origin as well as onset of symptoms. I suspect this is the general cause of your symptoms, and there are things that can be done to manage this or even correct it in milder cases. Please be sure you make your appointment, assuming you did mean neurologist, and then follow up with us here and update us. If you actually did mean you're seen a numerologist, please write back at once, as that isn't going to do you any good at all and will only delay a correct diagnosis of your problem, which is unlikely to resolve on its own.

Best of luck to you and please do follow up with us here.

|