Forum Name: Headaches

Question: 7 Weeks of Constant Headache

bhm3399 - Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:00 pm

I am a fairly active 24 year old Male.

Seven weeks ago During sexual activity I experienced a very strange pulsating headache on the back right side of my head. I figured I was getting sick or something and brushed it off. The following week the pain would happen during sex or heavy physical activity. I went to my Doctor and he sent me to the er for a ct scan to check for bleeding. At that point the headache was still there however dull and not as painful however constantly pulsating. The results came back negative and they set me up with a neurologist. However, the appointment won't be until 5/9/09. The headache has stayed there this whole time, at some points it is worse than others and will move around only on the right side of my head. I have also suffered from mood swings, nausea, blurry vision on right, and numbness of limbs. The headace has gotten more and more nauseating so I went to the ER this week and told them the symptoms, they sent for the ct scan and after they got that they sent me back for a MRI. The results came back negative for anything serious such as tumor or aneurysm. However that was the opinion of the radiologist and er doc, so his advice was to follow up with a neurologist soon. He also thought it was strange that you could touch the back of my head and feel my heartbeat which is probably the most annoying thing about this headache.

Thanks for your response and input.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:45 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Oddly, one of the first things that I wondered as I began to read your post, and resolved to ask you, was if you could feel arterial pulsing on the surface of the area where the headache is occurring. You answered that in the last part of your post. This can often suggest a sort of migraine variant, although there could be something a little deeper causing the prominent superficial arteries, such as giant cell arteritis, which often shows up on the temple but can occur anywhere in the body. This is something that will need to be ruled out, assuming the diagnosis isn't obvious to a neurologist when you finally get in to be seen. That's a long wait, and the ER isn't persuing or referring or otherwise helping to move up the date of your appointment. Sometimes the emergency department is able to push things along, sometimes not. Since you aren't going to be seen for about three weeks, my suggestion would be to go easy physically in the meantime, and if there is any change or flareup of the symptoms, to go back to the ER and ask they at least test your ESR for signs of inflammation that might indicate arteritis, which is my number one suspect right now, based on their readings of the MRI and I'm surprised the matter of palpable pulsing didn't suggest arteritis to them at the time. Hopefully you could at the least be prescribed a small amount of pain medication to hold you until you can be seen, and if this is giant cell arteritis you may wind up being referred again, this time to a rheumatologist.

Hope this is helpful to you. Please stay in touch and by all means update us after the neurology consult. Good luck to you.

|