Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Severe Headaches, Severe Dizziness

AWDLaunch - Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi all. My name is Perry and I'm 22 years old. Since I was a kid, about 10 or so, I would expierence severe headaches. They would wake me up in the middle of the night, and I would puke. They always made me really dizzy, and I couldn't get rid of them. As I became older, the headaches seemed to become less frequent, but when I get them now, they are still bad. Something else has also came up since I've grown up; extreme dizzy spells. I will just be sitting in a chair, not spinning, not moving my head, just sitting and relaxing. All of a sudden, the room goes from normal view, to inverted extremely fast. So, like looking at the horizon, then the horizon goes vertical. This lasts for about 5 sec. and while this is happening, I lose my ability to hear anything, vision becomes very blurry if not temp. blinded, cold sweats, and shaking. There is also a loud ringing in my ears as soon as the room tilts and the ringing fades out after 1 min. or so. After this has passed, I am very dizzy for about 15 mins or so, still shakey and I feel very anxious. Sometimes this happens when I am standing up as well, like at work the other day. Honestly, the only time this hasn't happened is when I am laying down. Any advice? Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:35 am

User avatar Hi AWDLaunch,
Generally speaking one type of headache that induces vomiting is a migraine. As for the dizzy spells (vertigo) this can be brought on by a migraine itself, disorders in the structures of the inner ear, etc. I would certainly suggest that you have an evaluation by a physician who may also refer you to an ENT specialist for a difinitive diagnosis. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.
 AWDLaunch - Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you.
 JanVH - Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi, Perry.

I can feel for you as I have suffered from headaches since I was your age. I think that Theresa is probably right - this sounds like classic migraine symptoms. You really should see a doctor but before you do, keep a food/headache diary for a couple of weeks - what you eat and when the headaches strike. This will help the doctor determine what might be causing the headaches. If the two of you can figure that out, you might be able to cut down on their frequency or even eliminate them altogether.
 AWDLaunch - Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:09 pm

Thank you, I'll try that. Most of the time I'm not eatting anything at the time, they truely seem to be random. The headaches themselves aren't very frequent anymore, but the bad dizzy spells are. In the last 3 weeks, I've had 2 of the dizzy spells, the most recent one today while out to eat. Those scare me more than anything, what if they happen when I'm driving? Scarey to think about.
 DizzyGirl1005 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:11 am

I have a friend who suffers from severe dizziness. He has had every test you can imagine to find out what it is as well as being taken off blood pressure meds thinking that might be causing. Recently I was a guest in his home for 5 days. On the 5th day I woke up with severe dizziness! It lasted on and off that day but when I left his home and went back to mine the dizziness quit. Could it be something at his house/environment that is causing these dizzy spells and if so, what? Thank you!

|