News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Exercise/Sports and Then a Headache.

Orchi - Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:38 pm

I am usaly very in shape due to Soccer, basketball, and my other sports/ running a mile to two everyday. But today I had a track practice were I ran 4 150s, 4 200s, 2 warm up laps ( Half a mile), and then a cool down l (1/4th of a mile)lap. The wind was howling and I really pushed myself. But afterwards/ in the middle of one of my 150s I got a pounding headache. My vision became blurred and I couls see straight? I kept going and it got worse I couldnt really tell what anything was and I could hardly concentrate on what anyone was saying. I took asprin and slept and I still feel it but not as bad as before. I still hear a constanct ringing sound that I also got with my headace. Did I just over do myself or do I have some problem? I've never had a headache like this before.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Two things: first, a general rule is if you experience a headache that you'd describe as the worst you've ever experienced, you should be evaluated for a possible serious problem. While this may have been some other, relatively innocent sort of headache, the severity, along with the other symptoms you've described, strongly suggest something wrong inside the head or perhaps involving out-of-control blood pressure.

Second: for future reference, if you ever have another severe headache, please do not take aspirin for it. Even something like Advil or Aleve could be contraindicated, but aspirin increases bleeding tendencies, and if the pain were due to a bleed on the brain this would only make it worse. For these situations Tylenol is by far the better choice, even though it's not always as effective.

Now then: you did have a strange interlude. It could be innocent, but you really do deserve a thorough neurological exam to rule out any abnormal blood vessels in the skull and also to check and see if you have a tendency toward spiking blood pressure at peak exercise. There are sometimes relatively easily managed conditions that can cause this, but you can't afford to let this happen again. I hope you'll bring this to the attention of your parents and your doctor, and the sooner the better. If it's all okay, that's great. But on the chance that it was due to something more serious, repeat performances of this cannot be allowed.

I hope this is helfpful to you. Please follow up with us here. Good luck to you, and take it easy til you've been examined thoroughly, okay?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here