Question: Cerebral and sulci and basal atrophy

ziadz55 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 am

Dear Doctor
In a CT scan report for a suspected stroke turned out to be Bell palsy
a[quote][/quote] A mild brain atropy resulting in cerebral and sulci and basal
cistern ) kindly let me the possible reason of the above
Is it age related?
latent syphillis?
Alzheimer pattern?
or what are other steps i need to take
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:12 pm

The report findings relayed here are very nonspecific, and as a rule would not mean much of anything. The problem with imaging reports is that they must report what's seen, which means describing, in this case the brain, in the most clear clinical terms. What this report means, then, is that mild atrophy (usually age-appropriate) is present, which it usually begins to be around age 60, and has caused increasingly noticeable folds in the brain (which are what give brains their typical appearance anyway). The basal cistern is an anatomical feature of the brain as it rests inside the skull, and this is necessarily slightly different with age-related atrophy, so is noted in a very general way. Severe or marked atrophy would be seen in the conditions you've asked about, and the report would not be consistent with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's or tertiary syphillis, but totally consistent with the age range considered. So all in all it sounds perfectly normal, with the expected changes.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck to you.
 delia26 - Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:21 am

I HAD AN MRI ON SUNDAY AND NEED MORE INFORMATION ON THIS
1. NUMEROUS BILATERAL COLLATERALS, WITHOUT EVIDENCE OD DURAL VENOUS SINUS
OR JUGULAR THROMBOSIS . NONSPECIFIC AREAS OF WHITE MATTER SIGNAL ABNORMALITY. WHAT DOES IT MEAN SOME WORDS I JUST don't UNDERSTAND.

|