News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: right upper jaw pain, and right side to temple pain

chef09 - Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:08 am

Hi,
Im a 26 year old male, with no insurance and laid off, for a couple of weeks now im been having congestion running nose etc could be my sinus or allergies, but now suddenly im having right upper jaw pain in my mouth that goes up to my temple everytime i blow my nose, cough or sneeze i get a sharpe blow of pain from my right upper jaw to my right temple as well. Friends are saying it may be of a wisdom tooth coming in but im not sure. Just wondering what can be done for i have no insurance. Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:54 pm

User avatar Hello --

I strongly suspect you have an abcessed tooth and the abcess has made its way, via fistula, into a sinus cavity causing a drain which causes now an expansion of the infection. While the tooth may or may not be a wisdom tooth, it doesn't matter at this point; whatever tooth it is, it will have to come out or at least have a root canal done, as well as sinus irrigation and infection care.

Lack of insurance often leads to far more serious problems which absolutely have to be manged medically. This appears to be where you are now. Dental insurance is usually pretty limited in its usefulness anyway, and can easily be exhausted in a few months, so you'd likely be in this situation anyway, if you did have that coverage. For this reason we need to make sacrifices where the problem becomes serious enough to demand dental/medical attention. Fortunately many dentists and quite a few doctors also will work on a sliding scale or at least work out a payment plan for people without means to pay up front. If worst comes to worst you could present at an ER and seek treatment since they are not at liberty to turn you away due to inability to pay. While I really don't endorse this approach, I find I am having to suggest it ever more frequently because of the breakdown of healthcare coverage.
Having worked in ERs for a good part of my career, I really don't like suggesting this, but the patient is the bottom line, not the money. It's something to consider, since what you describe sounds as though it is becoming an urgent if not emergent situation, and it certainly could become an emergent one quickly.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and please follow up here as needed.
 chef09 - Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:28 am

Thank you your advice will be considered greatly.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here