Forum Name: Headaches

Question: diagnosed with cyst on back of my brain

rawkmysawk - Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am

I just got diagnosed at Urgent care with a small cyst on the back of my brain.
I went in due to having constant terrible headaches for the past 6 months or so. I have not been to the neurologist yet, and the doctor didn't say exactly how big or small the cyst is.

Really I was wondering what if anything will or can be done about this.

The pain is like pressure in my head, it hurts constantly, but even more if i move or shake my head. Drinking alcohol makes it UNBEARABLE. I have a sensitivity to bright light that also makes my head hurt.

Any help would be appreciated if you need to know more let me know.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm assuming the urgent care facility performed am MRI to diagnose this cyst. Most anything else wouldn't yield an accurate picture. That being the case, your neurologist will have to determine whether this particular cyst is arachnoid or ependymal, although both types frequently are left alone in the absence of symptoms. Since you're having symptoms (severe headaches) you'll at the very least need symptomatic treatment to relieve the headaches, and since this may indicate the cyst is under pressure, there may be a need to reduce, drain, fenestrate or otherwise invasively downsize or remove the cyst, which is probably filled with cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). These are generally not new, are often present from birth, can resolve spontaneously and are most often not a problem. Again, since you're having some symptoms, a neurologist will have to confirm the diagnosis, assess the size and location of the cyst, initiate symptomatic treatment, and decide whether or not the cyst needs to be disturbed in order to keep things on the level. This should be fairly simple, at least up to the point where there is a decision on surgery required. You'll then work together, if it is needed, to come to an agreeable conclusion as to what needs to be done, how and when.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed, and update us for sure once you've been seen by the neurologist. Good luck to you.

|