Question: Can RLS meds mask appearance of Parkinson's symptoms?

Dejah Thoris - Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Is it possible for medication for RLS to mask symptoms and signs of Parkinson's? I have been treated with Mirapex for RLS for some years; (.75. ) Lately I have experienced leg cramps, 'getting stuck' in my brain, stiff neck and shoulder, trembling lip and left hand. I don't want to say anything to my neurologist, because I don't want to sound like a whiner. Anyway, wouldn't he notice if I was getting Parkinson's? Or could the Mirapex mask the signs?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 pm

First, please never avoid bringing a concern to your doctor for fear of appearing to be a "whiner." If your doctor has somehow caused you this concern then you might want to consider a change in doctors.

This is especially true in the case in point here, because Mirapax could mask symptoms of Parkinson's disease if it were present. It can, however, also cause some of the symptoms you're experiencing, sometimes due to paradoxical effect and sometimes just routinely. For instance, among routine side effects, confusion and forgetfulness tied for the fourth most common, I believe. While this doesn't eliminate Parkinson's, it certainly could mask symptoms if they were already present. Oddly, RLS isn't a hallmark sign of Parkinson's by any means, so it would be a rather strange coincidence that you would have both (although again, not impossible).

In short, I would most definitely bring this to the attention of your doctor. You're no whiner. This is stuff that rightly deserves attention and you should know what's going on.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|