Question: MVA s/p 7 weeks RLE pain/numbness

jlnunes - Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:30 pm

I was in an MVP s/p approximately 7 weeks, I was a passenger and spun out on the highway going head on into the cement median (airbags deployed) then the rear tapped the barrier and the right side of my body was thrown into the window/door. I was diagnosed in the ER with R face contusion (bruising was mostly around the outer orbital area) and R knee contusion. I had a dull headache and had back neck pain for a few days. Since then I have had frequent headaches (i have a pmh of migraines) but these are more dull/fullness and much more frequent than the migraines with slight nick stiffness. At night I've had many Sx that don't seem to fit together in my mind (i'm an RN student) so I've only told my PCP about the knee and headaches. I am scheduled for a head MRI and CT/xray of my knee on Tues. I've recently noticed a sharp pain in my hip (around where the head of the femur would be) and my knee clicks. Also when I am non weight bearing my knee throbs (when I am trying to go to sleep) and I get some numbness tingling in my R lower extremity as well. My calf also seems to spasm NWB. I feel like I also have some mild weakness but not very noticeably. Any Dx or suggestions about my course of action?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon May 18, 2009 9:48 pm

User avatar Hi there --

First, by all means make a list of those non-connecting symptoms you've felt since the accident, as some or all of them may help your doctor connect some dots even if they seem to make no sense in a linear way. Second, the primary symptoms you've described do, indeed, seem fairly reasonable given the head trauma and the area in which it was received.

As for the right lower extremity symptoms, these could of course either be orthopedic or neurologic, and whether or not they are followed up and diagnosed will depend in large part upon the neurologic findings filtered through the results of the imaging exams you have coming up, which could (we can hope) explain everything. You may well have at least a double-crush injury, that is, two separate issues arising out of the same trauma. Your description of the event makes this at least even odds likely.

Do make a list of the non-fitting symptoms, though, and at least hold on to that til the next consult post imaging, as they may come in handy. I think the MRI/CT/Xray studies should all help rule in/out certain concerns.

This is deliberately vague, because you haven't yet had those studies done and once you have if there are any loose ends we can then explore what's left. Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you!

|