Question: Could the use of Neurontin Affect an Evoked Potential Test?

sdlum4 - Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:15 pm

My primary care doctor just put me on 300mg. of Gabapentin (Neurontin) three times a day because my legs hurt (it feels like someone is taking a hot knife and stabbing me in the legs). However, I have two evoked potential tests coming up in eight days scheduled by neurologist. (I'm being tested for MS currently) The Evoked Potentials are for both my legs (I can't feel heat real well in my legs), and my vision (I just recovered from Optic Neuritis). My question is, Can the use of my Gabapentin affect the results of my Evoked Potentials Test and in what way?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:32 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Yes, gabapentin (Neurontin) can affect the outcome of an evoked potentials test, because it affects the nerve pathways being studied as well as the brain itself, so things are not at baseline status while it's in your system. You'll need to discuss this with your neurologist prior to the test (and your doctor should have addressed this, even if he doesn't feel it's going to be a problem, because there is a good chance that it would be). Probably you'll need to be weaned off temporarily, just for the tests, but your neurologist may feel it isn't necessary. One would think it would interfere, however.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and please let us know how this all works out.

|