News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Yawning when Exercising

nanibuggie - Thu May 22, 2003 12:09 pm

Does anyone know what causes yawning while exercising?

Everytime I run or even do jumping-jacks, I yawn continuously.

Please tell me how to fix this problem.

Thanks. :D

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu May 22, 2003 5:36 pm

User avatar Dear nanibuggie, it was very interesting to search about this topic I hope reading the informations provided through these 2 sites will explain to you the mechanism and the possible ways to control this.

website 1

website 2

Good luck
 Anonymous - Thu May 22, 2003 10:21 pm

thank you for those excellent websites, however, none of them seemed to give me an answer :( i guess i'm not the only one, however, with this problem#since both those sites did indicate that excessive yawning could happen during exercise##but no reason why.

thanks again! :D

siebrass - Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:07 pm

I too, yawn during exercise although I don't notice anyone else doing it. I'd like to know why I do this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:41 pm

User avatar siebrass, nanibuggie,
Yawning is a normal stretching mechanism. Its similar to stretching other muscles in the body. Normally we stretch when we feel we need to. Our muscles contract and squeeze the blood in the veins which is poor in oxygen and have it replaced by new oxygenated blood giving us a feeling of renewal. That isnt the only reason why we yawn obviously. Its also a contagious phenomenon, which hints at a strong psychological effect. Many theories have been proposed it remains a mystery why we should yawn to start with.

Now about exercising and yawning excessively. You are not the only ones. Its been documented in some rare individuals. Again no scientific explanation has been found. The important thing is to rule out obvious causes: sleep deprivation, general fatigue (prior to exercising), some antidepressants (SSRI-class antidepressants like Prozac) can all cause excessive yawning.

If what you have is non-stop yawning and not just excessive yawning during exercise, then you should consult a doctor. This could be a sign of an underlying vasovagal (heart rate and blood pressure) problem.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here