News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Post Anesthetic Seizure

takeva - Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:48 pm

15 Years old
Male
TMJ
Only surgery is this one "Removal of wisdom teethe"
Mother has epilepsy
Oxycodone and Amox

Ok. My concern here is about my Seizures.
I have never once had a seizure in my entire life. It was a scary experiance for me and I would like to know, was it ONLY the anesthetics fault?
I went in fine to the surgery, followed the no food or drink rule greatly (Though I did brush my teethe before leaving to the appointment. They never specified not to do that, but i'm not sure if thats a problem at all)

They hooked me up to a machine to monitor me, and put oxygen in my nose. Going out (going to sleep from the aneesthetic) was easy. Didnt feel hard, I wasnt nauseas, I felt completely fine.

Next thing I know, I was dreaming about seizures (I'm not sure if any of it was a dream at all. A couple of times of waking up, I am sure it was NOT a dream. My mother explains to me, that when the doctors were trying to wake me from the effects of the anesthetic (I am not sure if they injected me with something at this time, but they did inject me with something at some point to wake me up).

According to what I myself can remember seeing and feeling. I woke up, and started to feel like I was going to twitch (I twitch a lot at night, before sleep, and sometimes during the day. this could be normal, I am not sure.) It was much more than a twitch, my entire body started to shake, and kick and my head jerking back. My shoulders moving back and forth violently. In this point, I wasn't very much awake. My mind felt out of place, I wasn't completley sure that I was even awake. I was back to sleep soon.

The next time I woke up, I remembered being angered by the voice of a nurse (I don't know why I got angered... It's not like me, and all she had asked was, "Why are you shaking?". My body felt enraged, I started seizuring again.

The next time I wake up, all I remember is screaming. Scream to for help, screaming for My girlfriend (whom wasn't even there). followed by screaming of hysteria, louder each time.

I was back out again, and I can't remember anything else from this experiance.

According to my mother-

She and my grandmother, whom were in the waiting room, were called into the room to assist the doctors in waking me up. My mother describes the waking up process to me as this;

The doctors would say my name, attempting to get me to come to. My eyes would open a bit and my head would try to lift. My mouth still open. My head would just as soon drop back, not even to the chair, but instead, hanging off to the side, with my arms falling back to, as if the muscles in my body stopped working. Soon after, I would begin shaking and seizuring.

My mother said she couldn't take seeing me that way, so she walked out, but doctors came back to get her shortly after, claiming I had been asking and screaming for her, and asking were she is. This clues me that I was waking up at points that I have no recollection of.

Through it all, I had 16 Seizures within 30-45 minutes.

Was this caused by the anesthetic?
The medicine they used to wake me up from the anesthetic?
Is it possible that perhaps I have a problem that caueses seizures but my body has some kind of countering ability, that has controlled it all my life (until perhaps the anesthetic stopped it from working)?
Is it possible that like my mother, I have epilepsy? (I would like to also know the propobility that I may have it?)

Is it likley I will have any more of these, without a surgery?

Here is another problem I've had a great majority of my life. I cannot stand straight for long periods of time. If I am to stand without walking, I will faint within 15-20 minutes. I've had tests but nothing has ever been diagnosed. It's possible I simply have a horrible habbit of locking my knees, though it doesnt feel like I am.
I do not know if the fainting has anything to do with a black out or seizure.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 pm

User avatar Hello --

Your questions are very appropriate and your post extremely complete and informative. Thanks for the details you provided.

First, there is a family history of epilepsy, so this could possibly be a factor, although usually it is not. In your case it has to at least be considered.

Second, seizure and other central nervous system reactions are not uncommon in selected individuals following anesthesia, though most people recover unremarkably. Some, however, either due to a lower threshold for seizures, a lower tolerance for a given anesthesia, or due to transient circumstances, will react as you did. For this reason you should make certain this goes into the record for any future procedures which may require anesthesia, even though this could wind up being a one-time event for you. You seem to have followed all the pre-op instructions perfectly, but for some there is the potential for something as simple as hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to trigger this sort of reaction.

You should, as a precaution, have a neurological workup with emphasis on attempting to trigger seizure. Your description of "twilight" twitching, while generally normal, could be slightly exaggerated, which might suggest a lower seizure threshold, so that you may be more easily triggered, but simply haven't had, til this procedure, sufficient provocation to have a seizure. You may not have it happen again, but generally once something like this has happened it becomes slightly more likely that it will recur, so you would do well to find out and act accordingly if necessary to prevent future episodes.

It doesn't sound like a really unusual event, but I'm sure it was disturbing, and there is a slightly greater risk of future events, so by all means arrange for a neurological consult with intent of ruling out/in epileptiform disorder and medical management if needed.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here