News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Vertebral ArteryCompression

herbie1970 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Hello all,
I am a 39 yr old male who has been dealing with bouts of vertigo, occasional confusion, slurred speech and blurred vision in my right eye. I am currently under the care of a neurologist but we have not yet made a definative diagnosis. The following procedures have been done: Brain MRI- no signs of disease/lesions/tumors; a brain MRA which resulted in me having a neck MRA a week later. The brain MRA could not see my right vertebral artery and the radiologist recommended a neck MRA. Upon having the neck MRA we found out that I do not have a RVA. My LVA is much larger than it normally would be in the presence of the RVA. My neurologist seems to think that this is a congenital issue. I went to have an ENG today and was told that my nystagmus increased when my head was turned in different direction (up, down, left, right). I did some research today and I came across Bow Hunters syndrome (AKA Vertebral Artery Compression) as a posible explanation for my symptoms. I read up a bit and saw that, while rare, this is more prevalent in patients wil no or significantly smaller VA's. I wanted to get some feedback if possible and see if I may be barking up the right tree and if this is something I should bring up to my doctor. Thanks for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:16 pm

User avatar Hello --

To get right to the point I think you've done your homework well and just might well be "barking up the right tree." It would seem almost a gimme, at least up front. It could be wrong, but the model for what's happening in your case so closely matches that of the syndrome associated with diminished or missing VA makes this a pretty good bet and something that really should be ruled in/out conclusively. Logically and mechanically it makes perfect sense, but of course the more unusual or rare a condition, the less likely the clinician is to go there first. You've done the leg work yourself and I'd be willing to put money on your being right. Now to get the doctor to help prove your theory.

Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here and let us know how things turn out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here