Question: ADHD, Shaking and Trembling, Incoherency

TabbyDee - Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm a 26 year old female, diagnosed with ADHD in 2007. MANY medications and doses have been altered over the course of a year, all failed to "level me out," (as was stated). Off and on my entire life, I will have severe episodes of shaking and trembling, paranoia, uncomfortable chest pressure and (what feels like) an irregularity in my heart beat (sometimes seems like it beats too hard). My limbs become tingly, my head feels light, and I feel sick to my stomach. I lose energy VERY quickly, and yet I can't sleep or rest. I don't ingest caffine, it seems to make me sleepy most of the time. As I'm sitting here right now, my head won't stop twitching and my hands are trembling like a washer on the spin cycle.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While certain things you've stated (such as caffeine making you drowsy) point to an accurate ADHD diagnosis, this does not mean you can't also have something else going on as well, and it's way too easy to go for the obvious and not explore beyond it, but I think that's what your doctor needs to do, because you either have a very complex ADHD and/or an additonal neurological or metabolic problem that's complicating this and which needs to be explored and treated.

There are far too many possible causes for the additional symptoms, and I have to even question, for now, the diagnosis of ADHD, since it may have been one of convenience or a simple error. You may have ADHD, but I think you've got something considerably more going on and this is probably why the medications are not working appropriately. They are generally stimulant drugs with a hope that they will act in typical paradoxical fashion. Caffeine does seem to work this way for you. Therefore I strongly suspect something addtional is going on and you need to be worked up for neurological, metabolic and psychological problems which may have been masked or are mimicking ADHD.

I hope this is at least helpful to you. As I said, there are too many possible causes to make it worth speculating here, so please insist on a more comprehensive workup as above, and follow up with us here as well. Good luck to you.

|