Question: Numbness and partial paralysis in right side of face

Spazmeister - Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi there, my names Morwe, and I'm 16.
Since about 3 days ago, I've had numbness and partial paralysis of the right side of my face and I didn't really think much of it as it started off with just the right side of my tongue,so I thought nothing of it because I played rugby 4 days ago and got a good old kick to the head and a trample on my temple with studs so I thought "meh maybe it'll just be my tongue", unfortunately it's just got worse and now its my whole right side of my face so yeah, i cant wink with my right eye and i dribble allot when i try and drink stuff, and seeing as i did a nice 24 mile hike in the past 2 days along the Malvern
Hills it was a bit embarrassing trying to eat pot noodle while camping with my DoE friends. I'm going to see a neurologist tomorrow and was hoping i could just get a sort of second opinion on here hopefully before i go. I've read about Bells palsy and considered it as a probable cause, but just really want to put my mind at ease as most people are presuming i've had a stroke...... but then again cant trust my friends with medical advice.... seeing as they're all 16-18 :D
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun May 17, 2009 10:15 pm

User avatar Hi Morwe,

I'm guessing that by now you've seen the neurologist so have a better idea of what was going on. However, I'll give you my personal second opinion even if it's after the fact: I think you may be suffering what amounts to acquired Bell's palsy equivalent, a facial nerve injury due to the soccer mishap which would produce roughly the same effect as actual Bell's palsy (which is usuall virally mediated). In fact it could be a coincidence that you were struck in the temporal area and then actually did suffer a Bell's palsy episode. It's hard to say which would be the better deal, since trauma could injure the facial nerve more severely than Bell's might. Hopefully by now you know more and perhaps could share the results with us. I'm hoping you've been given a good prognisis for the nerve injury, whether it is Bell's or facial nerve trauma (a stroke is, of course, possible, but highly unlikely, and you'd have symptoms along the whole body on the affected side, not just in the face, if that were the case).

Good luck to you and please follow up with us here.

|