Question: Head pressure, dizziness and weird vision?

FrootLoops - Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:36 pm

As of today, 5 months ago, I recall feeling a little weird at the beginning of the week. By "weird" I mean my vision seemed a little awkward. It wasn't blurry, double, or anything explainable, my vision just seemed like it had a bit of trouble focusing and everything seemed unreal. Being in high school, I was doing a test, and I was leaning forward and concentrating due to the low desk. As soon as I get up, it hits me, this massive spell. Someone beside me was talking and it is almost as if I could barely hear her. I had so much trouble seeing, the exact feeling as if I was in a dream. It was like this for a week until it began getting a little better. During the night I would sometimes wake up and not be able to stop myself from shaking, or taking an hour to do so, but only twice during that week. 5 months later, which is today, I still feel constant pressure, as if it is coming from the center of my eyes (perhaps my ethmoid sinuses?). The more the pressure, the more my vision seems a little off, maybe even a little curved at the edges of my peripheral vision, and more does life seem "unreal". As hard as it if to give advice over forums, I was hoping for some suggestions to ask my doctor? He has alrighty tried prescribing me amoxicillin after the first month, I also took sudafed, and 3 months later we tried azithromycin. Now we are just trying SimplySaline, a spray against seasonal allergies. Any suggestions of what might be going on? Should I be worried?

John Kenyon, CNA - Sun May 17, 2009 10:09 pm

User avatar Hi there --

What you describe sounds an awful lot like depersonalization, a uniquely unpleasant sensation that usually comes on first during a period of concentration or focus so intense that one "loses" one's self momentarily and the subsequent state is one of unreality with difficulty hearing, seeing, etc., almost as though a veil has dropped over the subject. Not blurred vision, just a kind of "wrongness" with the lighting or something, same with the hearing, as though one can hear perfectly yet be somehow baffled (physically) in that area. Usually this will begin also in situations involving artificial overhead lighting as in most classrooms. Sometimes it is a neurological problem, sometimes associated with sinus blockage or infection, and sometimes an almost seizure-like activity which can be precursor to panic attacks. It usually first occurs during some stressful event or activity.

If there appears to be some nasal stuffiness or head pressure, this of course should be followed appropriately (and it seems to be). You might try and explain to your doctor that you're also having extended episodes of what seems like depersonalization. While this is not a dangerous condition, and is poorly understood, it can be extremely disturbing and can be disruptive of normal activities. One sometimes feels as though not knowing what may come out when speaking, as though standing outside one's self. Extremely common, not discussed often enough. This coupled with your episodes of waking with the shakes strongly suggests an anxiety-based problem. The head pressure could very well be caused by a blocked sinus, which can be treated simply (although Sudafed probably should be avoided for a number of reasons, unless specifically recommended by your doctor), or it could be due to unwitting hyperventilation, something that often accompanies the other symptoms in an emerging anxiety/panic disorder. One is generally unaware of the faulty breathing, which can cause tremor, spasms in the hands, head pressure, etc.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you with this and please follow up with us here as needed. Also keep us updated.
 drew1980 - Thu May 21, 2009 2:01 pm

I have been feeling weird an not like myself for going on two weeks now.I feel as if theres a buzzing or strange feeling in my ears an pressure in my head an i have tingling sensations all over my body.I have been to the ER alot this week but i have no type of insurance so no testing hs been done really because i have had a problem with pannic attacks,so thats all i get treated for.Im not saying its not to do with anxiety but to me my symptoms seems to trigger a attack because the medcine they give me does calm me down but i still feel strange.Please help me am i going MAD!!!?
 FrootLoops - Fri May 22, 2009 12:48 pm

I am often going back to the doctor to keep complaining that his methods aren't working, and he says he will eventually take a CT scan if there is no other option, but every doctor i go to seem to be way to arrogant and don't understand the symptoms (possibly depersonalization) that I am trying to tell them.

I will let you know if something different happens, if it gets solved or something shows up, because right now he says it is only a sinus infection. If it was depersonalization, how is it treated? Is there anything I can do without a doctor (home remedies)?
 FrootLoops - Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:39 pm

It has been quite a while later and I still feel derealization and depersonolization. I might be seeing a psychiatriste soon, hopefully. I also experience Depression. Any suggestions on what I can talk about to a psychiatriste to better explain what is going on?
Also, I'm sure there are many causes, so an excessive of what can cause this, is there more than one possibility? (i.e. caffeine)
 FrootLoops - Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:43 pm

For all of those out there with the same issue, I am going to keep posting. I still have this problem, and I have not yet given up hope. I went to a psychiatrist and explained everything, he thinks it is something physical. He is going to be recommending me to a Neurologist. Lets see how this turns out, I will keep you updated. Don't give up hope, I promised that I would return with my solution one day because I know how you feel.

|