Question: Euphoria from sleeping

Perceptus - Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 pm

In general I have never liked sleeping, the thought of it has just scared me for some reasons since I was quite young. I am 28 now and over the past 2 months I have started experiencing a euphoric feeling when I wake. Many times this will be from any range of time from 6 hours to 12 hours of sleep. The most recent I just slept 9 hours and was awaken by my wife who wanted me to get up, I said I would soon. But I had an extreme sense of euphoria, much like I have experienced when waking lately. I laid back down and the next thing I knew my wife was getting into bed to goto sleep as 7 hours had passed. I have heard that lots of sleep can be bad, I am worried how I am to combat trying to get out of bed when I nor my wife can keep me awake.

Over the past week I have started taking Ultram for joint related pain, I see no related difference in my sleep pattern.

Any suggestions on what may be going on?

Thanks for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun May 17, 2009 9:41 pm

This (the euphoria part) is a very common phenomenon, probably moreso than anyone realizes, as I'm sure a lot of people don't report it due to either lack of the right words or discomfort at talking about something they don't understand. It is a poorly understood phenomenon, but generally a very pleasant one. I see no down side to that part.

As to the sudden ability to sleep -- a lot -- after more than two decades of discomfort with sleeping, sometimes we experience a shift, some critical point is reached and things simply adjust. It is especially true of the brain and the psyhce. Neurotransmitters begin suddenly to work in different ways or just plain start to work. The fact that you seem unable to wake up as per usual isn't too surprising, since your body and your subconcious are both probably enjoying the newly-discovered novelty of sleep being pleasant. I would give this a little time for adjustment, and if it persists or you find yourself really having a difficult time functioning, bring it to the attention of your doctor. But first, give it a week or so and let yourself and your component parts just enjoy it. I'd bet on things evening out shortly, as this has been a long siege of not liking to sleep. Liking it is bound to make you do it more for a while. This could be a signal event or just a transient one. Please keep us updated as to how things go, but I wouldn't be overly concerned just yet. Sleep is generally a good thing. You may not have hit the "too much of a good thing" barrier just yet.

Good luck to you.

|