News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Stabbing headaches and sensitivity to right side of head

Teetyme25 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:17 pm

I have pressure to the right side of my face, right side of my head is extreemly sensitive, I wake up every 2 to 3 hrs. with a stabbing pain in my right temple. I went to my new primary and was given Claritane and Loratadine two weeks ago. The headaches come every night around 2 AM and every 2-3 hrs, after that. Can not touch the right side of my head with out pain. Been this way for about 20 days now. Also have pulsating below right eye near nasal.
Any ideas i have not heard? Doubt Cluster headaches because Ibuprofen works to relieve pain, take about 8 through the course of a night, 10 during the day.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun May 17, 2009 9:19 pm

User avatar Hello --

Cluster headaches will respond to anti-inflammatories, although you're taking about as much ibuprofin as is safe to take and probably ought to buffer that with an OTC stomach med like Prilosec to prevent stomach irritation. Also, this may not be cluster headaches, especially because while they do tend to follow a schedule as you describe, the sensitivity makes it sound as though it also could be trigenimal neuralgia, since it does seem to follow the same pathyway and can often cause superficial sensitivity to touch.

Consider both cluster/histamine headaches and possibly persistent trigeminal neuralgia. I hope you're taking the ibuprofin (OTC?) in doses of three or four at a time, no more, every four to six hours. This would be like Advil at Rx strength, which is okay temporarily. Please consider something to buffer it, though.

I hope this is helpful and please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here