Question: Body Fasciculations, Finger Spasms...concerns

jkr77 - Wed May 06, 2009 3:37 pm

My story -

Male, 41 years old, healthy and active. My father is 85 years old and has had MS since he was in his 30's. Very mild, leg drag but he is still active and has no treatments for his condition

For the past 2+ years, have been expereincing muscle fasciculations all over body, mostly trunk, arms and legs, some eyelid. Over the past few months, fasciculations have increased and may be increased by anxiety and stress, but still only really occur at rest. Very disconcerting but not debilitating

In the past 3 months, I have developed a persistent spasm in the meaty part of my right thumb near the center of my palm. Its visible, pulling my thumb towards my pinky and has been happening almost every day since the onset. I went to a orthopaedist and had a nerve conduction test run, results were normal. I suffer from moderate back problems (L5/S1 disc herniation suffered from a fall) and my middle back between shoulder blades is always painful and I see a chiropractor regularly. Xrays of my spine revealed mild degenerative disc disease. had a lumbar spine MRI done yesterday - results not in yet.

The thumb spasm sensation started yeseterday in my left index finger, moving the finger side to side uncontrollably.

I am very worried about MS, ALS. I have no weakness in muscles or wasting and I excercise 3 times a week at a minimum.

I have a neuro appointment at the end of May (was the earliest I could get)

Other complete physical / blood work was all normal as were nutrients / electrolytes.

The internet can be an overwhelming source of information and I find myself becoming even more anxious reading symptoms, etc so Im trying to keep this factual. Would be very interested in objective opinion from a doctor here.

Thanks,

JKR
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:50 am

My initial impression of the thumb area twitching was some problem with the ulnar nerve which innervates the muscle between the first and second digit. The symptom itself does not strike me as multiple sclerosis.
Another area to check is the cervical spine which can refer symptoms to this area of the hand.
Since you have a family history of MS and some neurological symptoms albeit minor and confined to the lateral hand, an evaluation by the neurologist would give you some reassurance and some clarity on the matter.
From what I hear from you, there are no spells of visual changes, imbalance in gait, electrical sensation down the middle back, or increase in symptoms with exercise or increased body temperature. Therefore MS is an unlikely diagnosis.

|