News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: on and off spasm around the neck and shoulders

prince_august - Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 am

Dear doctors:
my problem is already been for almost a year now.i am 29 yr old male.i have this on and off spasm around my neck and shoulders.i have consulted already with neuro surgeon and have my MRI of the neck.the result is spinal canal stenosis with disk herniation at c5.i have my CT scan of the neck too with result.9mm bone spurs at c6 causing indentation of esophageal wall.my doctor told me that the result don't impress him at all for any surgery.but im really so bothered with my problem.can you give me more insight and advices on what to do with my problem as my daily activities is affected already.what causes this muscle spasm around my neck doctor?would this continues spasm could lead to some neoplasm in the future?i would really appreciate if you could give me some insights doctor.thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 am

User avatar Hello,
When there is stenosis whether centrally (narrow spinal canal) or peripherally (narrow intervertebral foramine - where the nerves exit the vertebral column), it is important to correlate the imaging findings with clinical symptoms e.g.
    is there numbness and tingling in the arms
    is there arm weakness
    is there gait imbalance (from central stenosis)

The spasms themselves will not cause neoplasm but may cause poor blood flow to the muscle which in turn causes pain.
Some rehabilitation of the muscles around the neck would help relieve pain and allow, hopefully, restoration of normal neck function.

If rehab does not help or symptoms worsen, re-visit a neurosurgeon.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here