Question: Cerebral Palsy and Menstruation

papilion - Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 am

Dear Doctor,

I have a 20 year old sister with sever cerebral palsy which has been aggravated by meningitis while she was a year old.

My question is, she has been getting her periods for the last 2 years and I have certain concerns regarding this:

1. For the past few months, she has been getting a very long cycle of menstruation - her period cycle started on the 17th of april 2009 and it is still continuing. Some days are heavy flows and sometimes little. Is this normal?

2. Is it normal for cerebral patients to have alternate periods for example int he case of my sister, it alternates every month instead of monthly.

I will be very glad if you can kindly answer to my queries and any advice is highly welcomed.

Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:06 am

Generally speaking the early years of menses are often irregular both in amount of flow and in monthly timing so it is not surprising that your sister is having irregular periods.
I do not think she is too far off the normal in that regard.
If she is able to communicate well her need for analgesia during menses that is positive and overall if she is handling the monthly changes reasonable well (in terms of muscle tone and ability to move and in behaviors) then this too is positive.
If you still have concerns about abnormal vaginal bleeding, your family physician can evaluate her and see if any special tests need to be done e.g. pelvic ultrasound.

|