News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingling following numbness in Pelvic area whilst sleeping

Gary Jones - Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm

I was wondering if somebody could help me. I've been experiencing an unusual sensation that only ever occurs during the night. For about 3 months once or twice a week I will wake up at night time and notice that an area below my belly button, and into my groin is slightly numb. As soon as I move the numbness vanishes but leaves the usual sensation of tingling for about 60seconds.

This is exactly the same feeling as when you sleep on your arm, but what has made me ask about it is the fact is happens in my pelvic area.

I have no other symptoms and this doesn't cause pain or trouble me in any way.

I would really appreciate any advice.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:17 am

User avatar Hello,
The symptom itself does not point to any specific diagnosis or condition but for evaluation, I would examine the abdomen and the inguinal canal for hernia.

Other important consideration are:

abdominal symptoms: pain, diarrhea or constipation, vomiting, appetite level or changes, weight changes.
    trauma to the thoracic and upper lumbar area
    any rashes
    any erectile dysfunction or problems urinating.
These are just some of the history questions to consider.
If you are particularly worried about the symptom then see your family physician who can do a thorough history and physical.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here