Question: Twitiching, "brain skips"...Type of seizures/epilepsy?

shannonrenee4 - Thu May 21, 2009 1:15 am

Background: I'm a 19yr old female. [5'6, 155 pounds.] I have an extremely strong family history of epilepsy. I was twitching a lot, most noticeably in my sleep and around any sort of flashing light. I have these short moments immediately preceding or following a generalized body jerk where I sort of lose everything for a split second. It always reminded me of when a CD skips very briefly, because
I'm always fine seconds later. I occasionally have "deja-vu" feelings along with the body twitches. I am also aware of the event after it has passed. Symptoms first presented around the onset of puberty at approximately 13 years of age. They are worse around flashing lights, with sleep deprivation, and immediately preceding my monthly cycle. I had an EEG that showed seizure activity. (I have pasted to the bottom of this document for review).

However, I am unsure what sort of epilepsy I could have and if it could progress in to larger, generalized, grand mal seizures? (Which is prevalent in my family)

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

EEG RESULTS:
DESCRIPTION OF RECORD: In most alert stage, 10-Hz alpha activity was noticed over both posterior head regions, which looked symmetrical bilaterally. When patient became drowsy, diffuse slowing was noticed. One minute post hyperventilation, an intermittent feeling of drowsiness, and there were intermittent right central and bilateral occipital phase reversal noticed. Definite stage II sleep was not recorded. With photic stimulation, there is fairly frequent spike wave activity noticed. The majority of them are between the photic stimulation and those episodes also happen quite frequently right after the photic stimulation. There are no corresponding clinical events noticed. EEG showed a regular rate and photic stimulation induced mild symmetrical driving.

IMPRESSION: This is an abnormal EEG in wakefulness and drowsiness due to frequent generalized spike wave activities and intermittent right central and bilateral sharp focus.

CLINICAL CORRELATION: Patient's background activity is normal for her age. Currently EEG finding in the correct clinical setting may be seen in people with both generalized and partial onset epilepsy.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:37 pm

User avatar Hi there --

From what you describe (which was quite brilliant, by the way, especially the comparison to a skip in a CD) and the EEG report, it would seem you've fallen in line with the family history and are having either petit mal or focal seizures. These could, as always, progress to grand mal, but there's no rule that says they must. In many people they either stabilize, decrease or disappear. However, in probably equal numbers they do progress. Even if they remain as they are it would probably be worthwhile to treat this, since even as it is now, it could interfere with certain important functions (learning and driving are especially affected sometimes even by little "absence" seizures). There are now more effective medications available than ever, although of course this usually requires some trial and error. As to progression, this is only possible to know by having it happen, and treating the problem now could possibly avoid having an unpleasant surprise later on. You should be followed periodically for EEG changes, but much is determined by presentation of symptoms, and right now you would seem to be having mostly nuisance type. Still worth treating, however, I believe.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here as needed, and best of luck to you with this.

|