Question: Left thumb left numb , would Vitamin B1&12 help ?

artrepreneur - Thu May 21, 2009 12:07 pm

I had surgery 2 weeks ago, after I cut my thumb with a broken glass, in surgery language it was in the zone T2 of the thumb.
The artery and the 'ultra digital nerve' were found 100% cut through and the tendon 20%. They mended the nerve only as apparently the rest will fix itself with time...
I could still bend my thumb before surgery, however now I cannot , mainly due to the swelling and scarring inside. I was told to massage the area 20 min a day and given some exercises to help with the movement of the thumb. I can move the tip of it a little so the hand therapist concluded that the tendon was working.
My question really is about the nerve. Apparently it might take up to 2 years to feel normal sensation again and still I might never totally recover. I am getting pins and needles, and electric shock sensations at times, this is supposed to be good is it ?
Anyway, if Vitamin B1 & 12 are good for neuropathy, is it a good idea if I take some to hurry the healing ? I am already nearly off the smoke ( with champix) and I would like to know of any vitamins, or anything that I could and/or should not do :) !
I came across this 'nerve support formula', [http://www.mcvitamins.com/neuropathy.htm], I could get staff behind the counter but after reading this article, it seem that it could be a better option because it is fat soluble so it won't flush as quick as the thiamine will and that methyl B12 is as strong as an injection of VB12....
I am trying to do my best but I am no doctor, any informations would be great help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:55 pm

User avatar Hi there-

While everything you've been told regarding your injury and subsequent recovery course is accurate and standard, use of vitamin B1&12 certainly couldn't do any harm. While it may not do any good, it just might, and again won't hurt anything. The fat soluble formula you've found would probably be a little more useful if there is any benefit to be had, and again, won't do any harm. The fact that you're feeling electric shock sensations and nerve "static" is a positive development, even though it's not particularly comfortable, as it does represent return of nerve impulse conduction, which is really quite remarkable for this early on in the process. So that's a good sign and the vitamin supplements won't hurt.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us and let us know how things progress.

|