Question: Sciatica and Nightly Leg Cramp

firechief62 - Thu May 21, 2009 12:12 pm

I was diagnosed with sciatica several years ago and took a steriod to reduce the inflammation and the steriods helped to reduce the severity and discomfort. I still have intermediate problems but not as severe as when first diagnosed. It affected my left side and I still have some mild residual numbness. For the past several months I have been experiencing nightly leg cramps confined mostly to the calf muscle on the left leg (affected side). I can have 2-3 cramps during the night and most time they are not severe but still uncomfortable. I had blood work done several months ago and my blood sugar was on the high end of normal range. Could the sciatica and the muscle cramps be related or could this possibly be an indicator of the onset of Type 2 diabetes?

Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Usually sciatica affects only a single leg.
Spinal stenosis affects both legs especially the calves however the pain only occurs when standing or walking.
Since the cramps occur at rest while in bed the etiology is either lack of proper hydration, potassium depletion or a form of restless leg syndrome.
Diabetes can cause pain in the legs and should certainly be screened with fasting blood sugars. Two readings on separate occasions above 126 is diagnostic for diabetes mellitus.

|