News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Hand tremor, ocular deviation, sweating

Pirenne - Thu May 21, 2009 7:45 pm

I searched similar posts but most had very different symptoms other than Hand tremor. My problem occurs intermittently for a couple of hours, usually when in a relaxed setting. My right hand gets really shaky, my body feels really hot even when it is cool(to the point of sweating), and I get dizzy when standing up(even slowly) which ranges from mild to severe. I blacked out enough a few months ago to the point of falling over and my whole right arm shook back and forth(my wife told me this because I have no memory of it) which transpired over a few minutes. At age 19 (1998)I blacked out completely for over an hour walking to work and had no memory of what transpired during that time. An EEG ruled out epilepsy so the doctor didn't follow up with anything else. I also recently had an eye exam April 2009(routine) and have developed what they called ocular deviation in my left eye (downward). I also find myself stopping in mid sentence often due to trying to finish my thought and end up reapeating what I said to finsh the thought. I'm also told I slur my speech a little every so often. I had chronic migraines twice a month between the ages of 12(1990) and 21 but since have reduced to once or twice a year. I currently take Inderal once a day 40mg before I go to bed which has suppressed the tremor but all other symptoms remain. My doctor tested for thyroid conditions due to my mother having it and came up normal. General head CT came up clean. I don't know what direction to take. The hand tremor made me think neurology, but endocrine maybe?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would also consider cardiovascular causes due to syncope (passing out spells) and the dizziness when standing. The sweaty or hot feeling can be caused by the sympathetic nervous system trying to increase heart rate in response to a low cardiac output.
Low cardiac output could be caused by a septal defect in the heart or problem with the aortic valve.
In other words, get some basic cardiology testing done as part of your investigation.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here