Question: Jaw clenches after one particular night.

HealthQuestion - Sat May 23, 2009 1:51 am

Hello, I am 27 years old soon to be 28. I currently have no health insurance so I need some advice.

I had this weird thing happening to me at night after I eat.

It started after one night, there was this skim butter milk like half cup - I wanted to finish it. It was not expired because I checked date - it still had 2 weeks expiration date on it.

But anyway, I had regular meal and I drank that 1/2 butter milk cup and I had these 2 remaining lemonades that I mix into one glass - both good.

Ok, this sounds stupid.

After about 45 minutes after I ate, I was talking to my wife and all off sudden my jaw kept trembling up and down following some tightness - it was going like in waves - until I got very dizzy, which made me I lay down. Thinking it was food poisoning I told my wife to bring me water and I drank 2 full tall glasses of it.

Ok, 2nd day which is now. I had little bit of jaw trembling in morning then it went away for whole day now.

Now I ate at night, 1 am to be precise and at 1:30 my jaw shaking came again and with dizziness - but it was not as strong as previous night - where I got this strong flash that made me lye down instantly.

It is good that it is not intensifying - I mean less then last night but I just want to be prepared for future - I mean what if it comes back stronger. Also my face muscles from jaw up (1/2 half my face feels funny).

This 2nd night, I did not drink any of that milk at all so it is not food anymore.

What can it be? Good point that it is less - but I still feel dizzy and little bit disoriented and jaw and face tighten up, jump up and down (very little) but I certainly do not feel myself.

Is it some kind of allergy or effects of food poison, diabetes or too much sugar. It is true on 1st day, I was pretty hungry and I exercised after few days break but still.. I do see these little moving spots swimming for awhile now, but not really interfering with my vision.

It is true, I have not kept up with my rest and eating habits very well, but still I am Vegetarian and I do eat balanced and very good - although some hours after I am really hungry - could that be causing it too?

Sorry, I kept this as short as possible. Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Not stupid at all, just a little difficult to pin down. However, the symptoms are significant enough to warrant some sort of medical workup, perhaps at an emergency of acute care facility, if this continues or worsens. It could be something as innocent as Bell's palsy, or could be something more serious, some central nervous issue which would require possible hospitalization. I can't in good conscience suggest you simply try to ride it out. While it seems food has been ruled out as a cause, there are far too many more serious things to be ruled out, and of course we are seeing now more and more questions from people without medical insurance. It's not a good situation, but sometimes one's health just cannot be sacrificed due to cost, and there are more and more doctors (and facilities) willing to work with patients who don't have insurance, since the first duty of healthcare professionals is to care for the health of patients who present with potentially serious symptoms. Yours are potentially serious, and if they turn out to be something simple, this is good news.

It is a difficult situation, but if your problem persists or worsens the only sensible thing you can do is to be seen and evaluated for possible neurlogical problems.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

|