News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Numbness - Swollen Occipital Lymph Node

chevyguy - Sat May 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Here it is, as short as possible:

Developed some numbness on my left-side a few weeks ago. Got pretty bad after a week, and went to the emergency room. CT with and without profusion contrast was negative, EKG was fine, as was blood work.

Followed up with my PCP, and a neuro physical was normal. Since then, the numbness has subsided somewhat, though occasionally comes back. Occasionally also have some pretty decent headaches.

However, I recently developed a painless bump on the back of my head near my occipital bone. Feels a bit like fluid underneath skin.

Anyway, my questions are two-fold. Any ideas on what could be causing this? And, could the CT have missed any issues with my occipital lymph nodes?

Thanks for your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While swollen occipital lymph nodes are rarely related to anything internal (as opposed to superficial, like a scalp infection), the fact this shows up (if that's what it actually is) following a period of unilateral numbness, has to be considered, although it wouldn't likely to be central to the main problem, which would be what caused that left-sided numbness. This is a far greater concern as a presenting symptom, and less than likely to be related to occipital lymph node swelling.

But are we certain that's swelling of a lymph node?

Also, can you identify the exact areas of numbness? Did this affect the entire left side of your body or was it limited to certain areas or parts? This could be very important in diagnosing or dismissing whatever has happened.

Please follow up with us with addtional information if you can so we can help figure out what may be going on. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here