News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: headache turns to blindness

nonstudnord - Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 pm

my wife has been having recent bouts of blurry vision and occasionally total blindness. this started happening last night, i'll write a mini story to include any potential details that may be needed.

she had been having a headache for the last few days, and then it turned to a migraine that focused on her frontal lobe area. i offered to give her a shoulder and neck message, but as i started she said it hurt really badly. she then sat up on the couch, and within a few seconds became dizzy then asked me if i had turned out the lights. she then had complete blindness for about 20 minutes, after that she could see shadows and eventually colors after about an hour.

now it's the next day and all is well, i recently got a call from her saying that she's getting fuzzy vision, as if she's not wearing her glasses. this has been going on and off for a few hours today.

that's it for that, as for her medical history. she is anemic, and on mirena (10 months now). she's adopted so i we don't know anything about her parent's medical information. she has also been having mid-terms in her LPN courses the last week if that has anything to do with it.

thank you much in advance!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While this could be classic migraine with exaggerated visual disturbance, the fact that it has lasted more than 24 hours and continues to cause visual disturbance is good cause for a neurological workup to rule out other causes. If this is done and nothing other than migraine is discovered, a management plan can be set up so that your wife can deal with future episodes with less disability and discomfort. If there is something else going on you're both going to need to know what it is and what it will require to manage it properly. The possibilites are extensive, but the most likely suspect is still migraine so far.

I hope this will be helpful. Good luck to you both and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here