Forum Name: Headaches

Question: 10 yr old girl with classic migraine symptoms

MamaMac - Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm

My 10yr old daughter experienced what I would consider a classic migrane. It started at dinner when she said she had "dots" in front of her eyes. That was followed by an intense headache on both sides of her head. She was rubbing her temples and said it hurt there. At this point she was in such pain that all she could do was cry and say please take me home. Then she had extreme nausea and eventually threw up. This did not take care of the pain. Then, this is the part that scares me, she said her tongue was numb and her fingers and hands. She said it felt like when she goes to the dentist and receives novicane. She did fall asleep before I could give her any medication and slept all night. She went to school today but felt wiped out and said she just has a "regular" headache. This has never happened to her before and neither her father or I have a history of migraines. Should we see if this happens again? Call our family doc? Call a Neurologist? I don't want to over or under react, but this is my child and I feel helpless.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 pm

While this may in fact have been either a migraine or cluster/histamine headache, the sudden and intense onset in a child with no family history and bilateral head pain (classic migraine is often unilateral) probably should be evaluated to rule out some other potential cause, perferably by a neurologist. While it is entirely possible (and quite likely) this was one of the more innocent but annoying headaches, it also could have been caused by some underlying congenital defect which, if present, would better be diagnosed and managed now, rather than waiting for something more to happen.

I wouldn't be overly concerned but I would at least have a healthy concern over this, especially because of the anesthesia in your daughter's tongue and hands. While migraine often can be accompanied by numbness of the tongue (again, usually on one side), extension to the extremities is unusual, so is one more reason to have a thorough neurological workup. This would be appropriate anyway, since if this was a migraine or cluster headache it is likely to repeat anyway, and the sooner there is a management plan in place, the less your daughter would have to deal with the often disabling symptoms.

Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

|