News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Short term memory loss concerns

lovableme - Fri May 29, 2009 1:15 pm

I have a concern that I was diagnosed with short term memory loss as a young child around 10 years old, I am now 27 years old and have concerns that I am not remembering things as I used to, I have very few memories of my childhood and most of them is not good. I know I did not have a bad childhood I just do not remember it.

I am able to hold a job and learn new things, I am able to retain it if it reaches the long term memory. I just started a new department while I don't remember much of what happened in training I remember the material that was taught.

I had apparently repeated a sandwich that I liked to my coworkers several times. I do not remember saying that and it was in a 24 hour period, I can be driving I remember where I am going but forget occasionally how I got there, what street did I just take and was the light green or was it a stop sign.

I do read whenever I get the chance, I have done puzzles and I try not to play too much on a computer or video game in hopes to improve or at least preserve my memory and I am not winning that battle.

I am constantly losing my keys even though I am pretty sure I am putting them in the same spot, so now I always wear a coat so I can leave my keys in my pocket, with summer approaching not that feasible.

I have a five year old daughter in school, I always get her to school when I am supposed to but I do forget what day I am in, I have forgotton appointments I have made not alot but more then I would like.

I was on depression medication as I do have depression but I did not have depression when I had my memory issues, I am feeling alot better now then I did without the medications in regards to the depression issue.

I do have sleep issues but I am not always overly tired and I don't see a difference with regards to my memory.

I do see over the counter remedies for memory loss but doubt that would help and not sure of the validity.

Thank you in Advance
lovableme
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:54 pm

User avatar Hello --

Well you do say you were diagnosed with a memory deficit problem early on, so you may still have that. However, this is often a catch-all diagnosis and many times there is something more specific going on. For instance, at any age stress, distraction and "absent-mindedness" are often responsible for the phenomena you describe, and it can begin pretty early on. Depression also can definitely affect memory or at least short-term memory, mainly because of the distraction factor. I'm wondering if the first diagnosis was both correct and complete. This would probably be a good time to be re-evaluated for various possible underlying causes and, if there aren't any, then you may well just have a case of overload going on, either emotional or just plain life details. Short term momory deficit is a lot more common at all ages than generally recognized. If, however, you've noticed it being more severe recently then you really should have a neurological and fresh psych workup to be certain there's nothing more serious going on. Usually there isn't, by the way.

I hope this is helpful. It sounds as though you're functiong pretty well but are overly aware of your memory's functioning or seeming loss of function. This is a lot like awareness of one's breathing, which once it starts is hard to ignore, even though everything is actually working right.

Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here