Question: The sound of electricity in the back of my skull

rain1980 - Fri May 29, 2009 3:35 pm

I had a psychotic attack in 2005 and at the same time I started hearing sounds of electriticity in the back of my skull (where it meets the spine, or perhaps the cerebellum area). For the last 5 years I have been on antipsychotic medication. The sound of electricity persisted ever since. Sometimes I hear it several times a day, sometimes i don't hear it for months. My psychotic disorder is under control as long as i use my medication, though the sound of electricity persists. The sounds last one to three seconds.

Do you think this sound of electricity that started along with the psychotic attack is related to the psychotic attack? Or is it just a coincidence? Would it be related to something that may cause a psychotic attack, or would it be the result of the psychotic attack?

Thank you...
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Hello rain1980,

The sound you describe is almost certainly related to your psychotic break, and that it still occurs means you need very much to stay on your medication. However, your doctor knows you and you should consider discussing this with him/her. There may be medication adjustments available that could decrease or eliminate the sound that you hear. I doubt that it's the cause of your break, but is a symptom within the psychotic break itself. Again, your doctor would be able to discuss this with you. I'm glad the psychosis is under control; you deserve much credit for sticking to your treatment program.

Good luck to you,
 jerrilynn - Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:28 am

I am 25, female, and healthy. I get the sound of "fizzing" in my neck or spine all the time. It's usually when I have my feet up on something or if I use more than one pillow. If it's the same thing as I am describing I looked it up once on yahoo search and found out that alot of people have this and alot of people associate it with hunger. They feel it shortly after hunger pains. Good luck with your health and in life!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi Jerrilynn,

Thank you for contributing! Many people have unusual symptoms without having a disease process, such as you describe. However, with such an underlying psychiatric condition, the symptoms described are actually fairly frequent. It's always a good idea to have it evaluated under those circumstances.

Keep well!

|