News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Weird jerks

Tweak - Sat May 30, 2009 2:27 pm

hey,
over the last couple of months ive had some strange jerks in my muscles, these usually happen quite often when ive woken up, and then for 1 or 2 hours afterward and sometimes late at night. I've also experiences these twicthes after sometime has flashed at me such as a camera or the tv. I have recently turnt 16, is this normal, does everyone get these. I can have over one hundred a day most days. Please help thanks
Tweak
x
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:28 pm

User avatar Hello --

Whether or not these jerks or twitches are a concern depends in large part upon how much they impair your ability to function and your personal comfort. They could be normal, could be relatively normal (some people have tics that cause jerking which can, with work, often be controlled if necessary) or could be a central neurological problem that needs further study. The first rule as to whether or not a problem needs medical investigation is a matter of the above, how it affects your ability to function normally.

It's difficult to tell, given the lack of detail, whether this is worrisome or not. Are these jerks violent, uncomfortable or visible to others, or are they more like fine muscle twitches (fasiculations) that could be perfectly normal and/or acceptable thing. If you could describe in more detail what these jerks are like it would be helpful in guiding you, if necessary, toward appropriate medical help.

Please follow up with us here. We'll do our best to help determine if this is a problem or not and where to steer you if needed. Good luck with this.
 Tweak - Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:06 pm

They are mostly in my arms, sholders and neck, but sometimes face and other parts. Alot have people have noticed them in the morning about an hour of two after i have woken up. They are quite noticable but aren't huge and often make me drop what i am holding.
Thanks
 Tweak - Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:04 pm

hey,
i mainly get these in my upper arms and sholders, but also neck and other parts of my body too. Most of my friends have noticed them, but they aren't volient, but usually make me drop what im holding when i have one.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here