News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: When does a head injury require a trip to the er?

sassytink - Sat May 30, 2009 10:59 pm

I was cleaning and banged my head extremely hard on a ceiling beam. This happened about an hour ago and it is still sore, even after applying ice. It is the left side of the scalp. I have a lump. Would I know if it were more than just a typical bump (bleeding underneath skull)? Please let me know. I have a worried 11 year old son. Thanks!!
Melissa
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Hello Melissa,

Your injury has most likely resolved by now, but the general rules for need of evaulation with head injuries are any changes in alertness/awareness, severe headache, unequal pupils, altered consiousness, altered motor skills or unrelenting pain. It is always best to be safe rather than sorry, and if an injury is causing any symptoms, it should be evaluated. Sports injuries have shown that "minor" head injuries can be deadly.

Your son sounds like a bright young man. I hope this information helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here