Question: Seeing Lights (pinpoints of light)

IndigoSensor - Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:05 am

I am a 20 year old male living in Montana for college. I don't have any major medical condtions to my knowlage.

A little over a year ago. I was sitting in my mom's bedroom when I noticed, out of nowhere, dozens of little tiny lights appear in my vision and start moving around in a sort of dance all across my field of vision. They were very very bright, and unmistakeable for something else. It was all very strange and nothing happened afterwords.

Fast forward around 6 months later, the same thing happened again.

After that, once in a blue moon I would notice a single bright pinpoint of light either appear for a moment then dissapear, or it would dart across my vision.

A few months later, I had another moment where I saw dozens of these lights move around in my field of vision. I decided to take myself to the emergency room. The doctor looked at my retinas and said they were "superb and look extremely healthy". He reccomended an eye professional, but I was very busy with school at the time so I did not go.

Then at the beginning of the summer, this happened again. Since then this has been becoming a more and more frequent occourance. Usually at least once a day now. I will notice a light or two, appear, then dissapear or dart off across my vision.

A bit more background. When I was a senior in highschool (over 2 years ago) I began having olfactory halucinations. My dad freaked over this and I had tests done on me, including an EEG and MRI. Both of which were clean. I saw a professional in philadelphia (my home is in new jersey) and the doctor said I could, mabye, have a mild form of epilepsy, but was not certian and was doubtful of this. After a year, these olfactory halucinations went away, and then the lights started.

Migranes run on my dads side of the family, but my dad does not get them, and I do not get them either. Although it seems like almost everyone else does, including all of my dad's sibbilings. My dad has never said anything before about seeing lights, or smelling things that arent there. Depression is the only thing that runs on my moms side of the family.

One thing that could possilbly be related to this is at times, I will get very strange emotions that well up out of nowhere, or are triggered by something very small. They are very strong and very physical (I usually feel a very intense pressure from all over within me), I also have a very hard time sorting out exactly what emotion I am feeling, and struggle to describe it. I also can't describe it until I calm down. It is almost like a form of anexity, but not quite. I will feel the physical side of it all, but there is no mental attachment. These lights are in no way linked to this as far as seeing them goes, but I have been told there could be a connection.

Any help or ideas with this at all would be very helpful, and if I left something out that you might want to know, tell me. Thankyou!!!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

User avatar Hello,The first thing I would do in your case is to rule out occipital epilepsy by an EEG once again with an intermittent photic stimulation which would give adequate information.Do keep me informed.

|