News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Muscle Weakness and Stiffness a Neurological Problem?

TigerShot - Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:13 am

I'm a 23 year old male and my problems started after I burnt myself out after an extremely stressful Fall 2006 college semester. My internal medicine doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. He made no diagnoses, but he thought that I could have chronic fatigue syndrome or depression. I took 5 mg of Celexa, but no effect. He also told me acid reflux could cause my problems. I took Prilosec, but no effect. Finally, I consulted with a nutritionist online who told me I had 2nd stage adrenal fatigue. I was on a nutritional supplement plan of liposomal vitamin C, pantethine, and a vitamin C with a proprietary blend. After 1 month, many of my symptoms went away but haven't seen any improvements ever since. The symptoms I experience now are fatigue, perceived muscle weakness and stiffness, slight "shaking" when under mental or physical pressure, moderate dry mouth/thirst, increased hearing sensitivity, and difficulty going to back to sleep after waking up. I went to a chiropractor recently who told me that I would need 10 treatments, but after the 3rd one and not seeing any improvements, he recommended I see a neurologist and obtain a MRI test. I did see a neurologist some time in 2008, but I don't think he did enough tests on me. The last test he was about to do on me was one which wires would be attached to my fingers, but I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the test. I told him my tingling was little better that day so he didn't do the test and told me to come back if my symptoms didn't get better, but I didn't come back. My question is would you recommend me seeing a neurologist or getting a MRI test? Would you have any ideas of what I may be going through and if it could be a neurological problem?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
Collectively, your symptoms remind me of major depression but you should also rule out diabetes and connective tissue disorder (Sjogrens) - some simple blood work should suffice for screening.
If you are at high risk, also check for HIV infection.
Your family physician can do a basic neurological screening including an exam exam, cranial nerves, peripheral nervous system exam (e.g. deep tendon reflexes, sensation and muscle testing).
Cortisol levels for adrenal fatigue may/may not be helpful due to the inconsistent plasma concentrations throughout the day.
MRI of the head may be in order especially if there are tremors, cognitive deficits and any of the above neurological system tests are positive.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here