Question: Tired, Lethargic, non restoritive sleep

Galladry - Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Over the past 2 years I have been constantly tired, lethargic and had little to no energy at all. I have done 2 sleep studys for which I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and have been prescribed CPAP therapy from which I have had no relief. I am sleeping right through the night and getting an average of 7-8 hours a night. I tolerate the CPAP well but find there is no benefit to it at all. I fear this is begining to affect my work and am afraid I may end up falling asleep at the wheel. Any Ideas ?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Do some screening tests through your family physician for the following:

firstmatee - Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:36 am

I have been diagnosed as one with severe sleep apnea with a severe obstruction of the throat. Sleep clinic tests have shown that I stop breathing on average 85 times an hour. Even upon getting them in the room to fix whatever the multitude of wire or help untangle myself i have said "my god I have tossed and turned for the past two hours and haven't even slept yet" they have answered "oh yes you have been sleeping but you never get into the REM stage. I snore, I gasp for air non stop!
I have tried all CPAPs and have hated them all. I feel constricted and tear them from my face! Part of me thinks that I have a fear of anything on my face and neck being that I lost my sister to strangulation via her husband. I hate anyone putting anything near my face, blankets and even stuffed animals. I cannot breathe!
I am a smoker who smokes a pack every three days and I am about 40 lbs over weight.
I wasnt overweight until all this sleep apnea started. Seems i have a low metabolism and with the lack of energy I can see why.
I also have huge tonsils, HUGE!!
Now over the past month my regular sleep routine has been changed. I could sleep on and off all night long but also sleep until 11 am which allowed me to work my shift of 1 to 9pm. I started to drive my duaghter to school at 8am which means i am up at 7am. By the time I get home I either want to desperately sleep or just do other things like laundry and clean the house. My main concern is that I am having that feeling of blacking out while on the job. I am on my feet all day selling cellular phones, internet, tv and home phone. I know when its coming on and I just want to sleep that very second. The worst is when i know its coming on while talking to customers and I have to grab onto something solid. I lose my track of thinking or talking...and I often wonder if they sense there is something wrong with me. my eyes want to roll inside my head! Its been coming on so strong now that I am scared. I go outside in the cold with no coat or splash water on my face...energy drinks and wake up pills.
I cannot keep this up much longer. I feel like I am going to collapse big time! Sometimes I think I might be dying a very slow death.
I saw a Doctors show on a new procedure for surgery where one doesnt need to take so much time off work. I think it was referred to as plasma surgery? the tonsils were removed as well as the obstruction to the throat and a very large throat was left for breathing. The people who had it done said it made a world of difference in their lives and those around them, family, spouse.
Is this now available in Canada?
I cannot deal with this much longer. Sleeping on the couch to allow my family to sleep in peace, yet they worry so much that they will find me dead. They also disturb any naps i have cuz they want me to start breathing again. I get ticked off and yell "why did you wake me up?"
Help me please. I am desperate!! To the point that I wish I just wouldnt wake up so it could spare me all of the hassels, frustrations and concerns.

|