News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Half-numb pinky and ring finger

Emmalexander - Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 am

Dear doctors,
All of a sudden and just a couple of days ago I felt that my left hand's pinky and ring finger are half-numb but not completely numb so was the part of the palm just below such two fingers. This has never happened to me before. Please note that I use my laptop a lot and I tend to place . I feel some pressure on the whole left arm whenever I lift it up to type something on the PC or hold a cup. my left hand also hurts me at night as if there was pressure on it or as if the blood is not flowing properly and I can't find the right position to leave it at when I'm in bed. Sometimes the two fingers get so numb..sometimes half-numb and other time less half-numb. Yet it hurts the most when I'm in bed especially when keeping the arm straight while plam is facing down but when the plam is facing up it's much better. I'm so worried and haven't gone to a physician, yet. Do you advise me to keep the arm vertical or horizontal when I'm awake. I feel the pressure the most in my wrist and palm when I keep the arm vertical and I feel pressure in the upper arm when I keep the arm horizontal and elbow curved.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:18 am

User avatar Hello,I think you have carpel tunnel syndrome caused by pressure on the median nerve at the level of the wrist.Night pains and numbness are characterestic.Most cases the cause remains unknown and in some hypothyroidism is implicated.CTS may be related to laptop usage.Good ergonomics,proper height of the chair,wrist angle correction,elbow angle correction would go a long way in prevention.You can have a neurological opinion just to make sure it is nothing else.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here