News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Can Bell's Palsy spread?

dreamangel17s - Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:24 pm

My mom was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy.

Before the diagnosis, she had an MRI and everything was normal.

The right side of her face is affected. She was given acyclovir and prednisone and she's been on it for about 4 days now. But starting yesterday, she started to lose a little bit of control over her left eye too. Should she schedule another appt with her doctor or is it still too soon to tell? Are there any other tests that should be conducted?

I appreciate your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:46 pm

User avatar Hi there -- If in fact your mom's problem is actually Bell's palsy it usually presents all at once, although there can be some progression of the symptoms. This is unusual enough, however, to warrant a call to the doctor. Also, there is a simple test you can do with your mom to help determine whether or not this is, in fact, a problem with the facial nerve, which is where Bell's palsy originates. If your mom can wrinkle her forehead this is not a facial nerve problem but something originating elsewhere, inside the head, and will require further neurological evaluation. Of course this should have been done at the time of initial diagnosis, but since symptoms are still evolving I think it's worth a second (or first) look.

In any case I strongly feel it's unusual enough to have this progression that a call to the doctor is warranted. If he feels it's normal then it's pretty well covered. I haven't seen this occur in my own experience, and there is actually very little reference material I am able to find that would cover this particular issue, so I'd make that call just to be safe.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here