News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Can Cervical Myelopathy prevent me from building muscle mass

Kay2 - Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:57 pm

I experienced a herniated disc in my neck (C6-C7) that caused pressure on my spinal cord. As a result, I had severe muscle wasting, altered sensation and numbness from my shoulders down. My hands were almost useless and I couldn't walk due to weakness in my legs. The symptoms were progressing so rapidly, my neurosurgeon advised surgery.
I had an anterior cervical decompression with instrumentation and fusion done 14 months ago. I saw immediate improvement in my hands and upper body, and was able to walk again using a walker. I still have a burning sensation in my lower body, for which I am taking neurontin. Despite an intense physiotherapy program and a rigorous home exercise regime (including walking, stationary bike, pilates and weights) I find I am unable to build muscle mass and that my legs have very little muscle tone. My doctor tells me I have cervical myelopathy.
My question is, could the cervical myelopathy be preventing me from acquiring muscle and becoming stronger? Am I wasting my time working out each day?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
Nerve tissue can heal therefore muscle mass can improve.
It is important to continue strengthening program.
Even small gains in strength and function are noteworthy.
Don't quit now.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here