Question: "Dizziness",visual vibration, muscle fatigue

aegais - Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Let me start with I have been seeing doctors and have gotten no real answer to what is going on. Am I being paranoid I should I be pushing deeper?

About a month ago I got "vertigo". I use this term loosely because this is what the doctors are assuming it is. I have all my balance with and no visual spinning but I have the since of spinning. Associated with this is nausea. It is like car sickness but an extreme case of it.
I went to Urgent Care when my vision started blurring 3 days into it. They confirmed no pregnancy gave me mexlazine and said "inner ear infection".
Four days later I was in the ER having gotten worse with side pains and now seeing vibrations and light sensitive. ER doc says no signs of inner ear infection (I have had no symptoms of ear issues. No hearing lose, no ringing, no fever, no sinus/allergies). ER docs says ovarian cyst and vertigo. Gives me Transderm patch (dramamine), more mexlazine, and pain killers. I don't take pain killers, the mexlazine knocks me out, but the patch helps.
PCP orders ultrasound, came out clear. When the patch wore off I was worse and now have muscle aches/fatigue down both arms. I shake constantly with aches even after taken naproxen. PCP orders CT scan, looks at ears (they are clear) and sends me to a neurologist. CT scan is clear.
Neurologist says it doesn't all fit into one category and orders an MRI. Says that if the MRI is clear that it is an inner ear infection (he didn't even look in my ears). The only question he asked that I hadn't been asked was about headaches. I have suffered headaches of varying degrees for many years and self medicate accordingly including dark rooms with cold rags at times. Also was on Amytriptaline when pregnant to deal with headaches. He questioned why I didn't still take it and when I told him that I don't dream while on it, he didn't understand why that was a factor. Being a person that dreams quiet vividly (all five senses) dreaming is a way of stress release and recharging.
Ophthalmologist says eyes are clear.

Know I am going into week 4 of no solution besides wait it out, and the only answer I have been given is that I have an inner ear infection that I show no signs of having. How long is out side of the norm? I feel like this is being blown off by the specialist. How does this just show up? If the other symptoms do not fit, why are they not being treated? Am I just being paranoid or do I have justification to be upset with these doctors?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 pm

User avatar Hello -- There could be several possible things going on, and of course could be more than one at the same time, but there are also thing that could explain all the symptoms. First and most simple is a deep sinus infection. These are often difficult to spot and to treat because of the poor blood supply they have, which means the antibiotics aren't delivered in the strength one would expect. This is a possibility. It is also possible (and your neurologist seems to have dismissed the possibility) you've had herald signs of multiple sclerosis (MS), which often announces with sudden visual disturbabce and vertigo-like symptoms, although there is usually some balance issue or gate disturbance as well. Still this is worth ruling out, and the first item on the checklist would be an MRI of the brain to check for plaques that would identify this as the culprit. CT scan will not do the trick for this.

You've got some pretty disruptive symptoms (it is difficult for people to understand especially the one about the sense of spinning without loss of balance, as it is fairly unusual, and these are the very things a neurologist should jump on quickly). Since we are working at a distance everything I come up with ends up pure speculation, but I can tell you that yes, you have a legitimate concern with the doctors having failed to rule out all the potential culprits. This can be an annoying and difficult process, but those are the very cases that most need to be aggressively pursued.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.
 aegais - Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Thank you for your reply and I apologize for the following taking so long but I have been going through a lot of test. This is where I am at with still no answers. The MRI was clear, the Nero could find nothing. So this chalks up to a MRI, a CT scan, and a X-ray all clear. No sinus infections, MS, tumors, or blockages. The eye doc cleared me says the visual thing is pure to do with the Vertigo. The ENT says my ears are in great condition. No fluid, no hearing loss, no infections, no pressure. The ENT, Nero, and my PCP all talked and said they could not find a Dx and asked me to give it 6 months. I live on Scoplamine transderm patches. A new one every 72 hrs. Every 10 to 14 days I re evaluate, and right now I am sitting in the worse catagory. Nuasa turned to vomiting with in 1 to 2 hrs of the patch wearing off. They gave me meclazine but it knocks me out cold and I can't so that with a 17 month old. I have stopped all my medication out side the treatment for vertigo. I have been off them ~2 months. Tried an acpunturist, they said fatty liver disease which corralated with a boarder line low liver test. (SGPT was 30, but doc blew it off cause SGOT was 14). So just incase I stopped all alcohol too. Done dealing with the acupunture they couldn't offer help. Still looking for answers and a cure.

|