Question: Seizures and "Mini" Seizures

missduckeyyy - Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:52 am

For the past four years I've had "mini" seizures. I randomly freeze up, can't talk to anyone or understand what anyone is saying and no one can tell that it's happening unless they're talking to me. Sometimes I throw up when this happens, and then it's gone. There's no pattern to the occurrences, and they happen around 2-4 times a week, but sometimes 4-5 times a day. It's difficult to explain how they feel or what I may be thinking when they happen, because I always forget everything. My memory has been getting worse and worse since this started. I also don't always remember when the "mini" seizures happen, so they probably happen more often than I can remember.

Also, I've had two other seizures. The first one was two years ago, I was in the car with my mom. I started to have a "mini" seizure, my mom didn't understand and kept asking me if I was okay -- which I couldn't manage to say anything that made sense at all. I passed out in the car and woke up about 20 minutes later (my mom was freaking out, of course).. My grandparents took me to have a blood test, and that showed absolutely nothing wrong.

My second seizure was 5 months ago. I had just moved into the apartment with my fiance, and a few days later I had a seizure. We were laying down, I felt like I was going to have another "mini" seizure, so I got up.. I don't remember the rest. I woke up, laying on the ground, and my fiance holding me, looking very worried.. I couldn't say much, and I couldn't figure out why he was so upset. He told me that I just collapsed, and was twitching. I woke up really shaky.

Four years ago, I weighed 30 pounds less. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this.. Just thought I'd mention it. I also have memory problems. I can't seem to remember much of anything, and I constantly repeat myself. I don't just think my memory is horrible -- everyone knows that.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I got married last month, and my husband is in the Air Force. My medical insurance starts on November 1st, and that's when I'm going to set up an appointment to get this checked out. I'm just wondering.

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am

User avatar Hi there -- This sounds like a progressive seizure disorder with occasional focal or partial seizures and now the rare grand mal type (near as we can conclude since you wouldn't exactly remember the details). Usually this is due to a lesion in the temporal lobe, but could be something else. By now you should have at least made an appointment, and hopefully are seeing or will be referred to see a neurologist, as you will need a thorough neurological workup, electroencephalogram (EEG) and perhaps some other non-invasive tests (including MRI of the brain). Usually these things can be managed medically with the correct medication or combination of meds, but first a few things need to be ruled out/in. Once the focus or at least the general area of origin of the seizures is found, this should be managed without too much difficulty.

Good luck to you. I hope this answers your question and please update us when you've been evaluated for this.

|