News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Duration of facial paralysis from Lyme Disease

Daisy83 - Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:20 am

Hello Folks,

I am a 61-year-old female, recovering from Lyme Disease. On August 3, 2008, I was sent to the emergency room because half my face was paralyzed. A week later, the other side was also paralyzed. In November, a positive diagnosis of Lyme Disease was made after a lumbar puncture, with the assumption that it had begun in April, 2008. I had a course of doxycycline and have been improving ever since. I have just received the results from the fourth lumbar puncture, with negative results for all Lyme bacteria.
However, I still have some paralysis left, although I can now eat and drink and both eyes almost close. It's been over a year since the paralysis began, what are the chances for complete recovery?

Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:09 pm

User avatar Hi,
Unilateral and bilateral facial paralysis may occur in up to 11% of patients with Lyme disease.

It has been recommended that Lyme disease etiology must be considered in all otherwise idiopathic facial paralyses , especially when presenting in summer months in endemic areas, or when bilateral.

In Lyme disease, encephalitis is triggered and that this inflammation not only causes imbalances in numerous neurotransmitters, it also causes vasculitis which leads to hypoperfusion and hypoxia of the brain and in nerves.

This aseptic meningitis and Bell's palsy tend to occur within the
first few months following the tick bite, but may also occur as
part of reactivation disease.

For Lyme disease facial palsy, infectious disease experts recommend antibiotic therapy (although considerable controversy still exists as to the need for oral versus parenteral antibiotic therapy). Reactivation of the disease also occassionally occurs resulting in a facial palsy months after first episode.

As for your question as to when your facial palsyis likely to recover, unfortunately i am unable to give a straight answer as studies on this particular aspect are far and few.

It is may not be too scientific to extrapolate the recovery patterns in Bell's palsy to recovery of facial palsy in Lyme disease.However, this may give you some idea as to what to expect.

Approximately 50% of Bells Palsies will have essentially complete recoveries in a short time (Generally the regeneration of nerves will be complete within three months after onset). Another 35% will have good recoveries in less than a year.
The nerve can continue to regenerate for about 18 months, probably even longer. Improvement of appearance can continue even beyond that time frame.

Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here