Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Left side of head and face = constant pain

Eorr_Kris - Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:02 pm

In Sept, I had a double ear infection. October noticed my glands on left under jaw line was swollen, had the vertigo symptoms, and my left ear hurt a little. My left shoulder and neck side also hurt (hardly move my head). Was told I had another ear infection - got more antibiotics, and was told to take 4 Motrin for pain of shoulder, neck, glands.

The day after I went to the doc, my left eye wouldn't open all the way and my pupil in that eye was smaller. A friend said my eye looked bloodshot. I agreed. The eye lasted 3 days.

Pains on left side where I mentioned, became better but behind my left eye back towards the top and side of the left of my head, then down the left back side is now receiving constant pain. There is so much pressure there and Motrin hardly makes a dent in the pain.

At one point over the last week my 6 month old baby boy "head-butted " me! I've had this constant pain for 7 days. It hurts when I clench my teeth or move my head even more than just doing normal things.

Any ideas?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:23 pm

User avatar Hi there -- The initial dual ear infections was enough to cause a great deal of pain and other complications. The weak eyelid and constricted pupil the day after seeing the doctor suggests something more than simple ear infection. The first thing that comes to mind is a possible ethmoid sinus infection that may have predated the ear infections and probably would have involved both sinuses, with one side having a more severe infection, perhaps with some deep regional cellulitis. This would account for the severe one-sided head pain and the Horner's sign (sometimes a sign of Horner's syndrome, which could be caused by a cellular or cystic infection somewhere inside the front or side of the head). Since the eyes, sinuses and ears are all connected by common blood vessels and nerves this is an unusual but entirely possible problem. Normally you'd also have a fever if this were the case, but not necessarily. It definitely warrants further investigation by a medical doctor, preferably an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist. It is a moderate cause for concern since it seems there may be a pocket of infection not reached by the antibiotic, which is fairly common in deep sinus infections.

I'd seek an ENT consult ASAP, to rule out any lingering deep infection which could evolve into meningitis, as you've already had some superficial neurological symptoms (the eye).

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here as needed and also update us as to how things are going. Good luck to you.

|